Expect posts about science, nonsense, brewing, and other interests.
Yesterday I biked to the French embassy in Stockholm to vote for conseillers consulaires, consular advisers. Their mandate is to vote in the elections for the French senate, advise French policy-makers on matters affecting French citizens abroad, and provide help to the French citizens abroad.
These elections are rather low-key, but I realized that it is one of the election where my vote has the largest influence: probably around 2000 people voted in total.
Also, I totally love the all the symbols and the solemnity in French elections, particularly when comparing with Swedish elections, which feel so casual. Everything in the voting booth is ordered in a precise way, wheter you vote in the embassy in Stockholm or back in my village. And the devil in the details:
- the ballot box is transparent so you can always see through
- nobody else touches your ballot. You put it on top of the box and the “voting station president” only activates a lever that opens the ballot box
- the ballot box is never left out of sight
- the opening of the ballot box and the counting of votes is done in public with the public
But the very best, is the lound and solemn “A voté !” (“has voted”), that the voting station officer says as soon as the ballot is in the box. Goosebumps every time.politics france
Catalan humour - Manuel Valls
Manuel Valls, a man you cannot trust, is coming back to France after a short stint in Barcelona politics, eyeing the next French presidential elections. Catalans seem happy to get rid of him. The video is a cover of this infamous song.funny video politics catalunya
Forest flowersFreshly picked forest flowers.
Spring is now definitely here 🥳!nature photo flora
I haven’t gone thoroughly through my browser bookmarks in around a decade, and it was time to rummage and do a clean-up. The first realization is that around a third of all pages bookmarked do not exist anymore. This made me think about webpages longevity in general.
The second realization is that there are tons of great random links in there that I just never went back to visit. Here are a few:
- This story on the first TV image of Mars
- If the moon were only 1 pixel, a downscaled solar system where the moon is one pixel.
- Launchpad intro to feel like a music producer
- This collection of GIFs about PhD studies and academia. It actually changed URL and I had to hunt it down to the new location.
TypographySome nice free fonts.
Typography is one of my nerdy hobbies. I do like a nicely printed book or magasine in a great typeface, and the same works for electronic content.
There are so many high-quality free fonts around these days, that I changed the fonts used on this website many (many) times already. Now, in a low-tech effort, I decided to switch to default system fonts. This way, your browser does not download extra font-files when you browse here.
Some links to free fonts, in case you need them in your projects:
- Sans-sérif: Roboto, FiraGo, Source Sans Pro, PT Sans, Alegreya Sans, Chivo
- Sérif: Source Serif Pro, PT Serif, Gandhi Serif, Alegreya, Manuale
- Monospace: Roboto Mono, Source Code Pro, PT Mono, IBM Plex Mono
There’s plenty more, but I’ll stop here ;)design hobby
Standing deskMy hacked Standsome desk to have laptop at eye level.
For a few years back, I have been doing some work from home, and bought a standard IKEA manual standing desk for the home office. This was a great buy, allowing to have good ergonomy while working at home.
When the Covid pandemic started, we ended up being three people working from home, and I wanted a second desk where I could be standing. I decided to buy a Standsome slim, which I got to try by chance in the public library in Karlsruhe where I stopped to work a day during a train trip. The advantage is that it can be placed on a table to make a standing desk, and folded away when the work day is over.
The only issue I found is that the laptop ends up being low compared to eye level. With a simple DYI - screwing two small pieces of wood on the board, the laptop can be placed vertically and the screen ends up smack at eye level !work dyi